SubTerra

Post any websites you find amusing here, or if you've only came here to plug your site then do it here.
Nilex
Starting to fit in

SubTerra

Post by Nilex »

Okay I keep rediscovering this little but brilliant puzzle game, lost in the subfolders of my HDD, always getting me hooked when I come back to it! I find myself to be able to solve previously unsolvable levels, then get stuck then give up and so forth. It has been going liek this for years as the game is relatively old (about 8 yrs i think), but this time I have this forum where puzzle addicts reside so it MUST be shared! :)

So, you control a guy with some kind of Obi Wan robe on him and collect jewels. Once you got enough you can proceed to the exit and onto the next level. That is all. Except the game is extremely ridiculously HARD. Hard as in: hardest that I have come across by far. Difficulty is achieved my the most intelligent level designs ever designed as oppose to shitty controls, microsecond timing, luck and that sort of things. Don't be afraid tho, it starts of easy and gradually gets harder. Being so good I'm surprised it's not more popular and very hard (impossible) to find it on the net. Yep, this also means no Youtube solutions :D

Game is simple 2D graphic, you look at the game sideways, think Sokoban but not top-down. Things above you fall down but you can move left/right and up/down - exactly like in Boulder Dash. It has tons of levels which are unlocked as you progress (each with two modes: easy and hard), tons of different elements interacting with each other is all kinds of ways, etc. Luckily there is a great built-in tutorial explaining every detail spanning some dozen levels and if that isn't enough you can call a in-game manual from any level without the need to ALT+TAB - light version: F1, or hardcore version: F2 (this one explains ALL in relation to ALL :D) - both easily readable and navigable.

You can get it from this site: http://crystalshard.net/subterra.htm (there is a sequel there too, but i didn't try it yet)

It comes as a 7MB installer but i think it's only self-extracting zip or something so it should be friendly for everyone. I'm using WinXP so I don't know if it works on other OSs. One important thing that I have to mention: when started, the game will ask you if you want full screen mode - SELECT No! This is because in 1/3 times game crashes/freezes on exit. Only ctrl+alt+del and killing process subterra.exe helps. So I don't know if you could do that if game is in full screen. Apparently, this happens cause of midi music driver but I don't buy that :D. That is the only downside I can think of.

Enuff with this NilYorkTimes, go play play people!
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Re: SubTerra

Post by Dowster »

Goddamn motherfucking stupid jabberwocky bottom wank dumb donkey ball sucking work pc

Single file download capacity - 1MB max >.<
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Is there any chance someone could copy the file and email it to Bathopsmanager(at)ukmail.com?
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

Played through half of this game on easy mode and like it. It reminds me of boulder dash back in Amiga 500 and C64 times. Collect diamonds, don't get trapped, don't get crushed and so on.

Maybe you can try this on Dow http://www.freegaming.de/onlinegames/Ar ... rcade.html
:P
Starts easy but hopefuly gets tougher :P
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

Mail with 7 MB installation file send :)
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Thanks Forky, not received for some reason though.. maybe filters blocked it, but that doesn't usually happen

The other one is a blocked website, but most sites are for me :lol:
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

Hmmm mabye because it was 7MB file and .exe :/
Shall i try again ?
Dowster
Ancient Moderator

Post by Dowster »

Yes please, could you zip it and send as an attatchment?
Forky
Ancient Moderator

Post by Forky »

Attached and packed with winrar .rar file now ... 6,7MB though uhm, if you don't recieve it this way, i will rename it to something completly different and edit the .exe to .doc and you can change it back after or so....
And i could make smaller zip files that connect togheter to the whole one ?! Well ... hope it worked :P

This game is a bit addictive :) made it through the last row of the main game... and there are plenty more and even hard mode omg ^^

loads to riddle ^^
Nilex
Starting to fit in

Post by Nilex »

wow that's nice 8-)
I'm did first seven of last row on hard but 'Omelette du Fromage' i did only on easy cause i know what to do on hard lol. Rest of the last row levels are half-unlocked and locked. BTW lol @ that level name; there was a Dexter cartoon episode with that meal used i remember :D
Overall I completed 89 levels, and 81 outta that on hard :P :) The ones left accessible are HARD! :scratch: And the last level... hellish

gogo Dowster, you're gonna liek it too :lol: