Memorial day

This section is to get to know each other better and talk about yourself, happy birthdays, introduce or welcome people to the forum... you know all that crap

Moderator: Beany

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

Memorial day

Post by LaLou »

Tomorrow, May 4th, is memorial day in the Netherlands. It's a day when we commemorate all those who lost their lives during WW II and in war situations in general.
As you may or may not know I am helping someone with a book on the local effects off WWII, for which I am doing the lay-out.
I decided, as a tribute to all those who fell, to post one soldiers story with you. Countless lost their lives then to liberate us. I've choosen this one, because when he died, he had the same age my son has now.
This is Leuitenant Sergeant Peter Getgood.
His older brother was called for duty and after his training he was deployed at the mainland. He was captured and made a prisoner of war, and until the end of the was he stayed in several POW camps.
The second son became a soldier in the Brittish artillery. He survived D-Day, and fought in France, the Netherlands and Germany.
The youngest son, Peter, voluntered with The Royal Scotts Fusiliers, without consultation and knowledge of his mother. It's clear that this woman, as a mother had some troublesome years. After his training, but before he went to France, Peter married.
The family recieved the message of his death in November 1944, after being reported missing in Tilburg at first. It wasn't after some days that his grave was found in Liessel. The message that his wife had given birth to a beautiful and healthy baby had not reached him.
Clovvach
Hideous Demon Spawn

Re: Memorial day

Post by Clovvach »

That's sad. :(
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

Lalou wrote:The message that his wife had given birth to a beautiful and healthy baby had not reached him.
Okay, that made me cry.

Thanks for posting that, Lalou.
Eff
Demimod

Post by Eff »

Damm those guns and lands and people and borders and damm those guardian angels - where the hell were they? where the hell are they?

I am definitely gonna edit this post tomorrow and tell you a story .
Or twenty .

Nice Lal . good job with the book , I wish i could do such as you..
Dowster wrote:This one time - also know as last Wednesday
Beany
Demimod

Post by Beany »

My English teacher's husband came to visit us on Friday. He's a soldier atm. His grandfather served in the war until it was over. This man's brother served there from the age of 17-21. It made me sad just thinking about it. The misfortune of this one brother.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆