What's for dinner?

Don't lie. You're singing the song now, aren't you?

Moderator: Yaz Pistachio

LaLou
Ancient Moderator

What's for dinner?

Post by LaLou »

So, it's Thursday again, the thoughest day of the week. And because I have been working morning and afternoon shifts (it's a cleaning job, try it for six hours) I am too tired to make dinner. So I sent hubby out to get some fries, as always on Thursdays.
But....
I want to eat a healthier diet. Does any of you have suggestions for a meal that I can prepare that does not need a lot of cleaning veggies, cutting and whatnot? Maybe something that I can prepare the previous day and just shove it in the oven?
Beany
Demimod

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Beany »

Can't you make something on the Wednesday that can be reheated, or just extra of Wednesday's meal to be served the next day?

Sorry, that's not very helpful.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
chex
Guessing Games Queen. Suck it, Nich.

Post by chex »

My kids love having cinnamon pears with dinner. It's not a full meal, but it's easy, and fairly healthy. I used canned pears that are packed in juice, instead of syrup. Dump them in a baking pan with a bit of the juice. Then I sprinkle cinnamon and a bit of ginger over them. Cover with foil and bake.

Froot Loop asks for baby carrots often. I just steam them in the microwave, then when dinner is almost done, I put them in a frying pan with some honey and cinnamon, and heat them up.

"Faux-fried" chicken. I double bread chicken breasts in a mix of flour, cornmeal, and herbs. Spray a baking sheet with butter flavored no-stick spray, throw the chick on, spray them with the same spray, and bake.
bella
the two timer

Post by bella »

You could prepare a pasta casserole. You need some chicken or turkey, pepper bells, champignons, peas and some gouda cheese. Cook the pasta (I use spirelli), let it cool a bit, mix with the peas (deep fried ones), add the grated cheese, creme fraiche, sliced champignons and salt and pepper.
Then fry the turkey breast (cut in cubes), add the pepper bells and add this mixture to the pasta. Mix everything, put it into a buttered casserole dish and add some cheese on top. When cold enough, put it in the fridge and bake it the next day. You could also bake it the day before and reheat it the next way but I like it more when it's fresh. Let me know if you want the recipe.
You can also add other veggies and vary the recipe.
What I also love is couscous with vegetables. It needs some cutting, but if you cut them the day before it's a really quick meal. I use instant couscous, this only needs five minutes.

Another quick meal is gyros with coleslow, some french fries and Tsatsiki. I make the fries in the oven, then it has less calories.
Spaghetti with pesto and parmesan is also quick, add a salad (already cut) to make it healthier.